So….Working with leather is AWESOME! ( yup there’s a singing awesome in there). Pics and Tutorials first, but read below for more about my discovery of Scrap Packs and Michaels mobile coupons! As I mentioned in my post here, I am using the tutorials I found over at Whimseybox , Monstercircus always posts some awesome DIY’s check out her blog here! This is my take on her no sew organizers. Take a look at my new Leather Collection (calling it: Look What I made – Leather!) Tutorial:
- Used MonsterCircus’s DIY leather pouch and DIY cord organizers toutorials for inspiration and how-to’s
- found kawaii images on bing image search ( bing searches = starbucks giftcards and I’m totally bribable 😉 )
Materials (read about my shopping journey below):
- Leather scraps
- Leather cords
- fabric glue
- template images
How To: The key changes I made to Monstercircus’s original tutorial was using animal cut outs and drawing designs with fabric markers.
- print out or sketch your templates
- find 2 pieces of leather that will fit your template
- transfer your template ( use transfer paper or the GTAN method – see below)
- cut out your pieces
- glue your pieces together ( make sure to leave a gap wide enough for your leather cords)
- The back doesn’t have to be the same size
- pocket can be in the back or the front
- transferred templates look cool too.
- try different colors!
- Finish the edges
- Let the paint dry completely before handling
et voila! how did your DIY weekend turn out ?
Shopping Journey: So I stopped by Michaels to buy some leather sheets ( they have great coupons here that work straight from your phone!) and I discovered leather scrap packs! I picked up the cheapest one .5lbs for $3,99 ($2.40 after coupon ^^). The pack had 6-7 long triangle strips of suede and a bundle of leather cording. I totally discovered a new supply source! This pack turned into 6 great little accessories/ chord organizers/ hidden key holders. Later, I picked up another pack of regular leather scraps (different location = different stuff) this time it was 1lb for $6.99 ($4.20 after coupon! ). This time I had the choice between colored leather ( red ) or suede, mmmm….colors…. I went with the red pack ( why, not? ) and this pack was a really great steal too! Inside the red leather scraps were two 8×10 sheets of REALLY pretty tanned leather, 8 grey (hard) leather 2×2 leather squares, and a bunch of really cool metallic, embossed and textured scraps. Sadly no leather cords, but I still have a whole spool left from the last pack.
GTAN Method: ( my HS pre-calc teacher’s catch phrase…it kinda like Sheldon’s “Bazinga”, hehehe…) GTAN method for transferring Trigonometry graphs (or in this case…kawaii templates ^^): “turn paper over, hold up to a window, use a pencil to shade in the areas along the lines….that big solid spot ? leave it blank – you won’t be tracing there!”